TheBigHouse

A place for random thoughts on sports, politics and life.

Friday, July 11, 2008

I am F'in Pissed

"God bless America and the Green Bay Packers."

When Vince Lombardi spoke those words, I know he believed them, and I have come to believe them myself. Three of my four favorite things (outside of family), God, America and the Green Bay Packers. I think the small town, underdog, lunch-pail, town-owned Packers are an American Institution. A sign of what even the smallest of people can do it they are single minded in purpose and refuse to accept what other perceive their role to be in the world. The small town that has no business playing with the big boys, much less becoming Titletown.

I love the Packers. My youngest son's name is Vincent, mostly because of his grandfather, but also because of Vince Lombardi. I wear a Packer watch. My oldest son has a Packer room. I have Packer grill tools, salt and pepper shakers, Christmas stockings...you get the picture. This may be why I am beside myself right now.

When Brett Favre retired, something didn't feel right. I was positive there was a stink coming. I then watched the press conference and was elated. Brett Favre and I are about the same age. We came to Wisconsin about the same time. I always felt some sort of one-way kinship with him, and I realized as he spoke that we were getting old, and it was time to move on. I was so happy to see Brett was being the mature one and I would once again learn from my on-field hero. A true leader even in retirement.

I heard the rumblings. I saw the Letterman interview. I just kept re-watching the press conference and convinced myself it wasn't true. I was content in my ignorance...until today.

When I read the Packer press release, my heart sank. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, that can emerge as a positive from this. Nothing. Any potential scenario sucks...for everyone.

Favre with the Vikings? Favre being a back-up for the Pack? Favre being released by the Green Bay Packers? It all adds up to unthinkable, but it appears something of this ilk will happen. And the world will not seem right.

Unless Brett can find his position as a leader once again, and stay retired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home