TheBigHouse

A place for random thoughts on sports, politics and life.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Random Musings

In the same 30 minutes this morning, I saw Rosie O'Donnell, Hilary Clinton and Cindy Sheahan on the news. That has to work as some credit towards pergatory.

I don't know if it's just because I have become a father, but two stories- for different reasons- caught my attention this week. The USC kicker dying, being found at the bottom of a cliff with no clue as to what happened is such a waste. A terrible death of a young man and family that will always be forced to wonder what snuffed out such a young life.

The other was a story on Dateline about a man who was convicted of murder, being sent to jail with his two very young sons left to fend for themselves, now having lost both parents. It was completely circumstancial evidence. The man still claims innocence. What if he is? How would it feel to lose a wife and essentially two kids and go to jail for a crime you didn't commit, never to hold your sons again and leaving them to think you did it? I guess what's worse is what if he did do it.

I am now 37. In my book, that is where old starts. Some things I have been noticing make me realize I am getting old. I sing in church without regard to how I sound (which is not good), and I find myself driving very slowly sometimes, staring at things and thinking.

I can't imagine what it must be like to serve over in Iraq or anywhere else. It makes me even more grateful to those who do it.

I have been traveling a lot. I don't like the lines, taking of my shoes and putting fluids in a ziplock bag, but I know why we do it so I don't complain. When I hear people whining, I can almost imagine they are the same people who needed to blame someone for 9-11 and having hearings to figure out how it happened, but now gripe when they try to prevent it from happening again.

I am not real pumped about Nancy Pelosi. I think a woman rising to another political level is fantastic and overdue, I just wish it was a woman other than her.

It is January, and my annual rite of passage has already occurred. I know think the Dodgers will be good again this year.

I hope Brett Favre retires. I love the guy, but I don't want to see him limp out. I would rather see him leave like he did against the Bears- a warrior and a winner.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK let me get this straight. You think YOU are "getting" old. Imagine how I felt at age 47, nine months pregnant,and my AARP card came in the mail. My OB doctor isnt even old enough to apply for an AARP card.
I could go on but it's YOUR blog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home